Sunday, February 5, 2012

Making the Cut - Part 5 (Strider 1989)

(NES) Strider - Rating(5)
1) 1 - Character advancement: stat or level increases
2) 0 - Combat: none
3) 1 - Items and equipment: item decisions
4) 2 - Story: main story at the forefront; world full of hints and lore
5) 1 - Exploration: visited locations remain open
6) 0 - Quests and Puzzles: none

I didn't see leveling up connected to fighting enemies or swinging the sword around, and from what I remember it's linked to fighting set encounters and completing missions. The combat doesn't appear to have any stats involved, and I didn't notice any side missions or puzzles.

When I first saw this game on the list I thought to myself, "how in the world could anyone confuse this game with an RPG." All I could remember of the game was "running" around (have you seen this game in action, it's more like walking) and slashing everything. Looking at some videos, I can see how someone could consider it having "RPG elements." Now-a-days it seems any game with an inventory, HP, MP, and a story claims to have RPG elements, but nearly any game can add elements of RPGs without being an RPG.

This is another game I used to play quite a bit. I never actually owned it, but I rented it multiple times. I don't recall if I actualy beat it, but I don't really have a desire to revisit this title, so I'm glad it's getting cut. I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get through, but I'd rather keep the focus tight for now.

8 comments:

  1. Well, the NES version is much different from the arcade in case you had that game in mind. About as much changed between those two as another title: Rygar, which has experience, levels, HP, and MP. I see these as early moves towards an action-RPG hybrid, but both lose the focus of what an RPG is good for and retain an action focus.

    Actually, thinking on it, Rygar is probably more RPG than this (a quick estimate on the scale brings it to an 8 or 9 actually, but no one ever confuses it for an RPG... strange).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only ever played the Genesis version, which I believe mirrors the arcade experience. Still, though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the Genesis version is a direct port of the arcade. Here's a video of the NES version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efJPvlfcVYs

    I concur... "still, though..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I know is that Strider and Rygar took many coins off me when I was a young boy. If I could have them all back now I'd probably be able to buy my own arcade game with both games installed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The original Strider is -great-, but it's no RPG. The NES Strider has a few elements, yes, but this is still definitely not an RPG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say, thanks for joining me here. I'm glad to have a fellow console gamer around to keep me in check. It's good to know I'm not alone on Strider as well. Please do share your thoughts on Hydlide.

      Delete
  6. It's an ok game. DEFINITELY not an RPG. And very buggy, in the most annoying ways possible.

    ReplyDelete